Friday 28 July 2017

Fellowship, Aragorn

 Aragorn, scruffy as usual.

Feeling fair and seeming ...

Poor light for these two shots and I've just noticed that ring that he wears.

I've done a little 'wear and tear' weathering to the boots and cloaks of all of them.

Just the bases to do, once I can decide how to do them.
I've enjoyed painting these characters so next I'll be tackling Haldir with bow, Weathertop Aragorn, three Axemen of Lossarnach and Prince Imrahil, (foot and mounted) as a sort of batch.

The primer applied to the Fellowship eliminated the paint slip problem except for the tip of Gandalf's hat.

I used Humbrol acrylic spray primer.

I'd made sure that there were not too many points on weapons and clothing too.

I now feel happier painting metal models.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it my imagination or, perhaps, a touch of astigmatism, or is Aragon's sword slightly bent ? These heroes of Middle Earth, like their counterparts in the Dark Ages - B.E.L. e.g. Before Electric Light - of our own world, presumably gave their swords and spears names. Was Aragorn's sword called 'Heartface' ? That would explain all. Also I notice, as you have, the rather ducky ring he's wearing. Say no more..........I'll be interested to see the bases when finished. With these characters all coming from different parts of Middle Earth i assume you're going to have to come up with a terroire that pulls them all together. How about a sort of generalised grassland or moorland ? John

Cotswold Bookstore said...

Yes, droopy swords are common with these metal models. Half an hour in the sun does it. No, these models are often distorted and swords and spears especially so. It's been fixed once but is easily damaged.

I'll be basing them as leaving Rivendell. It's not correct as their weapons were sheathed, not being waved about, bent or not. That would give a look pretty much as you've suggested.

Anonymous said...

Weapon naming was common in the Dark Ages and some of them sound odd to us. I can live with 'Legbiter' but did you know that one viking sword was named 'Gimli's Gift' ? Surely the oddest to the modern ear is King Arthur's spear which he named 'Ron'..................John

Cotswold Bookstore said...

The spear's name 'Ron' is actually a shortened form of the place where it was originally found giving rise to the erroneous theory of Arthur's birth place. The spear's being found at the bottom of a coal mine in the Rhondda Valley prove's nothing.

Anonymous said...

Good God ! That must be why his shield was named Val. I always thought that it was named after the Welsh ancestors of my wife, her maiden name being Edwards. But I never did believe that Arthur was born in a coal mine. Now Gimli, that wouldn't surprise me at all. John

Cotswold Bookstore said...

And they call it a mine. A mine!

My Dwarves have coal on their bases. I'll pop one up on the blog at show and tell time.