Friday 18 August 2017

Dreadfleet - Shadewraith


And now, for something completely different, as many a Python has been heard to say.

I bought the sumptuous looking stand-alone game, Dreadfleet, when it was first released but have been too taken with 40K, Warhammer and, in particular, LOTR, to do more than open the box.

However, as a break from endless Elves, Dwarves and Orcs, I have started three of the ships from the set of ten, the easiest first.

This is The Shadewraith, captained by the mutineer, Vengheist.

When he and this turncoat crew return to the mortal plane, both they and the ship have rotted away.

The ship is held aloft, from the waves, by the spirits of the crew.

(I don't write this stuff, I merely paraphrase!)

A couple of points if you are building one (unlikely as the game is six years old and well out of print)

1. The sails, as shown here, are wrongly placed. They should be angled away from the bow on the right hand side, not the left, as here.

2. It might be easier to glue the deck to one side, then insert the masts with the other hull going on last. It's tricky to locate the masts into the receiving holes, below decks, when you have to peer through the skeleton of the hull.



The last shot shows it on the gorgeous cloth map that they provide

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That was quick, they look great.

Cotswold Bookstore said...

Thanks. They? There's only one. It looks different against the 'map' because I still can't set the colour balance.
I've made a start on the next one. The Skabrus crewed by Skaven.

Anonymous said...

I've always had my suspicions about Elves, which you have now confirmed. So they really are endless ? Which also explains the immortality business.................When I was small, I always drew sunken pirate ships listing drunkenly on the ocean bed, treasure strewn around them. But I ALWAYS drew in the rigging and sails though that was against all common sense. This skeletal ghost ship brought those days back to me.............And of course 'Shadewraith' is an anagram of 'Wash dive hats' which is good advice when sailing in a seriously holed vessel. John

Cotswold Bookstore said...

If your pirate ships on the seabed were only recently arrived there, they could well have rigging and sails. The ghostly Shadewraith is freshly returned from the underworld, not the underwater, so anything goes.