Thursday 24 August 2017

Dreadfleet - Skabrus


The second ship launched is the Skaven crewed Skabrus with Skretch as its captain.and with warp lightning providing its power.

I used White Dwarf 382 as a guide but ignored some of their instructions which were clearly about getting as many pots of paint sold as possible. I did add a wash of Reikland Flesh Shade gloss to the 'guts' to give them a wet look.

Pointers here are :-

1. Though the model fits perfectly when unpainted, a few coats on the model and others on the base makes it very tight or, as in my example, impossible to 'bed down'. Thus it gives the appearance of riding above the waves rather than floating on them. Answer - file the edges of the model before undercoating to give it some slack.

2. Again it is tricky to insert the mast into its receiving hole in the base. This is made more difficult because it passes through two layers of deck before reaching the hull. I couldn't get mine lined up so chopped of a piece at the bottom, then glued it down. Unfortunately, not enough as the spike now floats above the body by a small amount. I didn't spot that problem till the glue had set!

3. I went to great lengths to paint the 'guts' of the sea monster and then glued down the skin and bone hiding it completely. I'd suggest leaving it free to be lifted to show off the innards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As the vessel is largely a decomposing leviathan, they must need a vast store of those Christmas Tree things one hangs in the windscreen of ones car. Also my crossword obsessed mind informs me that 'Skaven' is a thinly disguised anagram of 'Knaves' which I guess the crew are. Also your masochistic tendencies are becoming more obvious here. These models are SO small and the parts so ockerd and fiddly that to achieve a decent result must be almost impossible. Still, you seem to have managed. But then you're small enough to stow away on them..........John

Cotswold Bookstore said...

Skaven, being as close to rats as they are to humans, love a good pong. There's never any need to press-gang for the Skabrus. They volunteer in their thousands.
Regret that it's hardly a decent result but I certainly won't be doing another one. I'm tackling these because I fancy playing the game.