Tuesday 18 September 2018

Eomer's Troop plus 3

The lame horse, which at least had an ankle, was successfully pinned and glued with support being given by a small rise in the ground and a conveniently located rock for the front hoof.

I'd tried simply using super glue at the break point (didn't know they played tennis!) but the ankle wouldn't hold.
The other lame horse had its ankle missing (I expect it will be found with that cow's leg, down on Cold Comfort Farm)

I used pinning again and the lower end of the pin went into one of those unconvincing tufts of grass that GW supply to fill the second hole in their bases.


Then Green Stuff bulked it out.

Of course, the pin should have been longer and had two bends in it to give the shape of a horses ankle (or fetlock as we wellie wearers call it)

I will have to hide the result with something.

It has more the appearance of an item used by Long John Silver than trotting apparatus.




Milliput made up another rise and rather than fixing the fore-hoof to another rock, I had this perfect little dead guy lined up for the part.

Originally he was brown skinned but, despite the metal helmet, he looked more like a farm hand who'd found a shield in a ditch on the way home.















So first I painted face and hand with Fenrisian Grey (really pale blue) then gave it a wash with Orc Flesh Wash.

I think he came up rather well and his knee was in exactly the right position to be kicked as the horse leapt.


 There is no sign of a wound or death blow so I assume he was running off when hit.

He still managed to fall violently backward knocking a hole in the helmet and his skull.

All tricky stuff but fun to do.

I have a spare horse now but no Eomer but I picked one up on Ebay.

Hopefully it will arrive on Friday.

No comments: