Wednesday 6 December 2023

New Hobbit Hole 1

Well, sorry about that folks. Covid, kids and carrots with a healthy smattering of Settlers have caused me to ignore this blog for nearly a year.

However, I think the stubbornness of the donkey had something to do with it so I have turned to Hobbit Holes.


I decided to use the same side as the previous Hobbit Hole
to see if I could disguise it.
I've cut two pieces of coffee stirrer and four of Karndean flooring.
The Karndean is the dividing strips they lay to provide patterning.
It has a wood texture.


To change the look of the door frame,
I put a layer of Milliput on the bricks.
I would have preferred Greenstuff (stickier) but I'm fresh out of it.


So here's the stirrers, Karndean and Milliput all in place.
I've also used John's glue/filler mix around the left hand window.
The right hand one already has a similar texture.


Now mostly painted and dry-brushed.

I also thought about modifying the chimney stacks.
However, the double pot piece is slightly wider than the single
so a re-think is needed.


The brick arch over the right hand window is now wooden.
This time I 'simply' sanded and scraped it down
rather than adding Milliput.

Of course, the truth is that, even after all these mods,
it will hardly look different to the first Hobbit Hole.

It's the equivalent of tying a red ribbon on the tail
of Lady Godiva's horse and expecting people to notice the difference.
Their eyes will be elsewhere.

No comments: