Tuesday 13 June 2017

Clansmen of Lamedon

The Clansmen of Lamedon I painted using, as close as I could, the colours of 'The Tartan of Thyme'.

This is a reflection of how much I appreciate the two books in the series, 'Justin Thyme' and 'Thyme Running Out'.

There was no way I going to achieve the actual tartan,

I'm not sure that anyone could, but the colours are all there.

However, the copper orange, which I used for trim on the 'kilts', was too understated, so the obvious answer was red/orange hair.

So,yes, the purple plant growth is suppose to be heather (not grape hiacynth, Blake!)

If I ever do anymore, I'll replace a sword with a set of bagpipes.

I thought them good models. Dynamic poses and easy to paint.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the colour scheme, purple with green. However, I think the hair needs a darker tone, just slightly darker.

Cotswold Bookstore said...

Two things. 1. The screen never shows the correct colour. 2. I need something like genuine hair but also to get close to the colour described by Panama Oxridge. 'The coppery orange glow of sunset'. I'm coming over Sunday so will bring them with me.

Cotswold Bookstore said...

I meant I'll be over on Saturday!
The complete colours are -
'The vibrant purple of freshly blooming heather; the crisp, dark green of the ancient, noble pines; the deep blue of an unfathomable loch and the coppery orange glow of sunset.'

Anonymous said...

These wild men have an uncanny resemblance to Pratchett's Wee Free Men (Who, incidentally, DO wear tartan)......The figure in the middle of the top frame even looks as if he's throwing the hammer in The Highland Games. I suppose at this scale painting the plaids and kilts in an appropriate tartan would have been close to impossible but it is a great pity. I've found a sample of 'Porsche' tartan which appears to contain all the colours you mention. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police tartan also contains these colours. I shall attach to an email later just out of interest. Oh, my interest was piqued by your intent to use a set of bagpipes. Are you intending to make these out of whole cloth or can you find miniature sets on t'interweb ? Just professional interest (which I expect to be paid promptly at ther end of the fiscal year)........John

PS. Val said why do you put your name to these comments when you are using the tag 'Anonymous' I hadn't thought about it, but it does appeal to the British sense of humour - well, our generation anyway - for an anonymous person to make a point of signing their name. Very Goonish. JC