Friday 24 March 2017

Osgiliath Ruin 3

The finished ruin with lots of errors.

As usual, I learned plenty while constructing and, in particular, painting the model.

The overhead view shows two sections of floorboards though I doubt there would be many left after hundreds of years defending the place.

They'd have all gone for firewood, I mean, it does look a bit drafty.
One thing I'd do on construction is to glue the two sheets of foam card together and then cut through them, eliminating the 'ridge' of card in the center.

The big two on painting is spray grey rather than black and think about painting walls before assembly.
 There are some tricky corners when it's assembled.

Also, you need texture everywhere - not just on the exterior walls
 The close up shows the wallpaper pavement which I think works well.

The last shot shows how not to go about it.

I tried painting in Fortress grey and then dry-brushing white.

Dawnstone spray, then work up to white through Fortress grey, I think.

Do watch out for melting foam in the boards.

I protected the walls with 'Dark Earth' but filler/glue mix would have done the job while texturing.

The loose wall sections were protected with glue which failed to work.

I had to fill them up again with filler/glue.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

This actually looks really good. It'll look even better with the floor painted, plan on adding any lost equipment about? Or maybe some corpses?

Cotswold Bookstore said...

I imagined the black area to be the dark beneath the floor boards which doesn't work. I'll have to make it soil with grass in patches. As John pointed out, the floorboards look too new. The equipment and bodies would be good. I'm always loath to carve up models that I could use in battle but I've won a couple of Ebay bids which I could use and there are a couple of broken models around too. Good idea!

Unknown said...

Yeah, they'd look better darker and maybe chopped up a bit. That new blood paint would look good on the walls and among the rubble too. Don't you have spare dead characters that are for decoration? Oh and another thing that'd look good is an old wooden door that's been broken open, and has arrows and holes on/in it. That'd look really good.

Cotswold Bookstore said...

The only dead guys I have are from Harad. They weren't involved in Osgiliath. The door would be good though I'd have to make the arrows.