Saturday 11 March 2017

River 1

 Here's the first stab at the river. I use filler on and around 5mm foam card for the banks and then painted them with textured masonry paint. I then sprayed it all over with Caliban Green. The river side of the banks were dry brushed grey and static grass glued on top. The river bed was painted in a deep blue/green colour made as a sampler to my colour example. The ends were taped and a water/PVA mix poured in.
 Well, I've learned plenty. The wood grain is clearly visible through th PVA so seal the bed well before using water effect. When mixing the PVA I introduced bubbles which are spoiling it. The mix was so thin that it ran from the ends despite the tape.
The tops of the bank are far too regular. Use more filler on top.
I'd hoped for a green slime look in the muddy bank but seem to have overdone the grey dry brushing. It is still just visible in the close up of the rock but I'd hoped for more.

Incidentally, Blake did most of the glueing of the built up banks and applied some of the filler.

No comments: