Wednesday 24 May 2017

Speech House Defences

Here's the much improved gate.

A little less room for limbo dancing orcs to slip underneath (though that still needs seeing to)

If I started again, I'd have the spikes longer and pointed at both ends to prevent even goblins from crawling in underneath.

I'd also use wooden spikes rather than metal.

The main advantage is that, whereas before, it took two burly troops to move the pole out of the way, now one can heave the right hand side of the gate out of the lower loop and it can be opened with a push.

They've all had a go, riding on it as it swung open until Grimdol's accident.

Changing the gate also had the advantage of freeing up the spiked pole for use elsewhere.

It just needs cementing in with dark earth.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks great, I see that you mean with the construction now, much nicer.

Cotswold Bookstore said...

Yes, still not orc proof but it's quicker to let the NAAFI wagon through. (Look it up)

Unknown said...

Hahaha, yeah, I know what the NAAFI Wagon is, you've told me about how you got sick of the cakes all the time.

Cotswold Bookstore said...

Don't exaggerate. They told me to eat as many cakes as I wanted. First day five, next day four, third day three, then two, one, zero. Think on. Too much of a thing can do you harm. Switch off that computer game. Read a book!
Pops

Anonymous said...

The spiked poles are looking increasingly ill-tempered, the side view looking rather like the rotary blades on Jack Lyford's fleshing machine at Henry Booth's Tannery, when I worked there as Jack's assistant in 1959. Ah ! The scent of rotting sheep flesh on a bright summer's afternoon.................John